The first of the Wyrmcrest Temple bosses, and likely the first target for level 80 raiding. After seeing the 10 and 25 man versions where we killed all the drakes, I'm really interested in how to start learning it when some are left alive.
- Trash Mobs -
Dragonkin, can be Ice Trapped, Slept, and Sapped, the come in the following packs:
Onyx Brood General - Will make other dragons immune to CC
Onyx Blaze Mistress - Casts AoE fire spells, including flame orb and rain of fire
Onyx Flight Captain - No abilities of note
In addition, there are also pairs of Onyx Sanctum Guardian that cannot be CCed. They have a curse of mending (attacks from the afflicted heal the caster), and a frontal cone shockwave.
Trash Note: All trash will attack when you engage Satharion, no matter how many drakes you leave up, you will have to kill the all the trash.
- Mini-Bosses -
All three bosses share the following:
- "Void Zone" Ability, it's bright red but can be a little difficult to see on some of the more lava colored flooring.
- Forward cone breath (Shadow Dmg), no tail swip.
- "Portal Ability" based on each drakes
- Melee damage is mild (1 healer normal, 2 healer heroic is more than enough)
Shadron (Right Side)
- Goes 99% immune when portal is up, single dragonkin on the inside to kill, send all your DPS one off-tank and one healer.
Vesperon (Left Side)
- ?Does more damage? when portal is up, single dragonkin on the inside to kill, send all your DPS one off-tank and one healer. (Sorry, we never saw exactly what happened, always killed the portal mob before the boss got any boost)
- Places eggs in the "portal realm", completely ignore this portal and just AoE the whelps when they come out. Welp damage is trivial.
- Main Boss -
- Forward cone breath (fire dmg)
- Tail swipe (knock down, not push back)
- Tank healing was again "Mild", only tight spots is range when the tank moves for lava waves.
- Spawns "Lava Blaze" elemental the frequency and quantity are based on bosses health, sub 20% is a burn or get overwhelmed. If not killed quickly these will grow larger and have 2~3 times their health. Take on the boss and AoE.
- Lava will occasionally drop a blast on the platform, it's untargeted and minor damage positioning for the lava waves makes this not worth trying to avoid.
- Lava Wave
A wave of lava crosses the platform and does knock back and fire damage to anyone caught in it, the gaps to survive are based on the side it starts on.
Two gaps, near the ends of the platform, ranged should stand in the gap for this wave while in between waves. Melee move to ranged to avoid this wave, tank move to the far gap.
One gap, in the middle, this is where the melee and tank hang stay between waves, ranged move up to avoid this wave.
Doing Satharion with all the drakes down is a very strait forward tank and spank fight. Use your off tank to pull the adds to the boss to be killed with AoE, after 20% adds spawn too fast to kill so just off tank them and burn the boss. It may take a wave or two to figure out the exact safe spots for lava waves, flares, totems or other land marks can help.
- Bonus Drake Powers -
Each drake you leave alive will give the boss an additional bonus, not only that but the drakes you leave alive will also join in the fight and need to be tanked. Additionally they spawn the void zones, unknown if the quantity of void zones increases with the number of drakes alive.
- Spawns whelps
- Increases shadow damage taken by 100%
- Fire damage taken increased by 100%
- 25% health reduction
I've only tried the 10m when we left Tenebron up, once we saw that you have to off tank the mini boss in addition to Satharion we decided to just kill Tenebron and get on to other instances.
My goal is to have some discussion on the best way to get kills with drakes left up. Such as their exact powers, which are the easiest to learn, can they be killed after you engage Sartharion, etc, etc...
Everything above - Bonus Drake Powers - could probably be removed as fluff since Sartharion seems very trivial to do if you kill all the drakes. However, for completion sake it seem worth putting up.
Sartharion still exists with all his normal powers if you leave drakes up, so having that information here shouldn't be out of scope when considering kills with extra drakes. I pulled the exact numbers from wowhead on the drake auras:
Tenebron - Increases shadow damage taken by 100%
Shadron - Fire damage taken increased by 100%
Vesperon - 25% health reduction
Additionally, each drake does something else during the fight:
Tenebron - Spawns whelps
Shadron - Shields the boss reducing damage taken (can't find the exact spell)
Vesperon - ?
I apologize if this isn't enough to start a discussion, I'll add more next time the instances reset.
I'm going to agree with Malan. This isn't a place for Bosskiller strategy guides, and there's no reason to post about Sartharion with no drakes up because that's like making a post asking about how to kill Attumen.