I’m an academic that studies the dynamics of online games. I’m working on a project about theorycraft and I thought that EJ was the perfect place to come for help. The next three paragraphs are dictated by my Institutional Review Board, but I’d appreciate it if you’d answer the 14 questions I have. If you have any questions for me, please contact me with the information in the post or on this thread. Thanks for the help.
You are being asked to participate in a survey to explore the dynamics of theorycrafting in World of Warcraft. There are no foreseeable risks to completing the survey and results should help researchers better understand the complex practices of online gamers. Your identity will be protected and your online and offline names will be made anonymous, unless you indicate otherwise on the survey. If you wish, you may withdraw your survey from analysis at any point by emailing the survey submission email address with an indication of your desire to be removed from the survey.
By completing the survey and sending it to the email address listed below you are certifying your willingness to participate in the research project and that you are at least 18 years of age.
If you have any concerns about the research project, please contact Dr. Christopher Paul at the survey email address listed below or Dr. Barbara Anderson, chair of the Seattle University Institutional Review Board at (206) 296.6161.
Please answer the following questions and either email your completed survey to firstname.lastname@example.org or PM it to me on these boards.
1) What is your age in years?
2) What is your biological sex (male or female)?
3) How do you define theorycraft?
4) Do you use theorycraft? Is so, how?
5) What are your primary sources of theorycrafting information?
6) Do you produce theorycraft?
7) Where have you posted your theorycrafting?
8) Do you consider theorycraft a vital part of your experience in WoW? If so, why?
9) How were you introduced to theorycraft?
10) Why do you engage in the consumption and/or production of theorycraft?
11) Do you have any background outside of WoW that aids or guides your theorycrafting?
12) How does theorycrafting change your experience in WoW?
13) What is the name and class of your main character and what server is it on?
14) May I contact you for future surveys? A follow up in-game interview?