I don't believe that haste lowers the the Death Knight GCD in any way, making it by and large one of the worst available stats for a DK to pick up.
Ever since 2.4 haste has lowered the GCD on spells, to my knowledge this hasn't changed, and as such it would lower the GCD on Death Coil and Icy Touch and the likes. Not a bad thing in itself, that said you'll still need a fair amount of haste to see an increase in damage just by having a lower GCD on those two.
the most important changes (my pov):
- melee hit requirements are now reduced to 8% (263 hit).
- when weighting stats, the value for hit rating decreases after reaching 8%, but stays relatively high, up until your individual talent- and raid-buff-dependent spell hitcap (virulence, misery, heroic presence etc. => between 11% and 17%, if i didn't miss something)
- new cookie-cutter build for unholy without desecration, in combination with glyph of scourge strike
- your gargoyle 'inherits' its ap-based damage bonus on activation, later changes to ap don't affect it (wait for unholy strength and other procs, then activate your ap trinkets and / or blood fury before you summon it) - raid buffs still affect your gargoyle (e.g. bloodlust)
- agility added to stat weightings (for unholy only your IT and your DC profit from your spell crit chance, unholy blight cannot crit, wandering plague uses melee crit and DND-crits don't count for boss fights - consider this, when judging items like [Hemorrhaging Circle] )
Last edited by Katya : 12/27/08 at 12:22 PM.
Is there anyone out there playing Unholy DPS without the Scourge Strike glyph nowadays? I can only see this happening if you are easily confused because of the on-the-fly changes you have to apply to your rotation.
The Dual Wield section should probably be expanded to at least mention the 0/44/27 and 0/32/39. Discussion's still very much in the air especially after 3.0.8, but the latter spec at least is still pumping out serious numbers, and I hardly ever hear of anyone using the trispec detailed here anymore.
"Gordon, the planet has been conquered by malevolent aliens. Humanity is depending on you. Here's a goddamned crowbar."
So i have played the ever popular 0/32/39 frost/unholy hybrid spec for a while and it has seemed to be quite a bit of dps. With this most recent patch, we got hit with what seems to be a hard nerf from Killing Machine. I decided to experiment yesterday by 2 things: 1. Seeing how Killing machine would effect a 2h, and 2. How it would effect Frost strike, since it is a weapon based spell deep in what used to be a DW tree.
I was sceptical about how often killing machine would proc with a slow 2h, but since Blizz has scaled the proc rate to the weapon speed, I am finding that it procs just as much as DW. Also a 2h gets more of a bonus from haste effect % wise than 1h's do. In the unholy tree Necrosis and Bloodcaked strikes are also doing more over all damage for me, at least according to recount. Next i tried altering my spec to include frost strike and a few other talents. First i removed Crypt fever, Desecration, and Reaping from the unholy tree. Sad yes i know. If you can run with an Unholy dk like I do then this more than makes up for the lack of Crypt fever or Ebon plague bringer on your part. (why do work when someone else can). Desecration is a sad loss but one that you can make up for later. Last you can replace reaping.
Now, moving oveer to the frost tree we need to add three talent poitns to get to the next talent tier. I personally put them in Runic power mastery. With glyph of icey touch and the chill of the grave talent, i am never out of runic power. next we put five points into Blood of the north. Not only does this completely make up for Reaping, but adds 15% damamge to your blood strikes. Next we get 3 into Guile of Gorefeind. This i beleive is one of the best talents in the tree to make up for the killing machine nerf. This increases your critical strke damage of howling blast, frost strike, Blood strike, and obliterate by 45%. Sadly the crit amount from my howling blast after the patch went from 80% crit, to 40% crit. Adding 45% damage helps immensly when putting that back on top fo the damage meter.
Last is frost strike. This argument sells itself. it does on avarage for me 200-300 more damage than death coil, it has at least triple the crit , with the glyph that reduces the runic power cost, and the talent for 30 extra runic power, with a full bar you can spam it 4 times. Also it cant be blocked, dodged or parried. With a 2h damage from the 60% base weapon damage, the massive crit rating, and the crit damamge bonus, for me it is criting almost evry other time and critting for about 3500-4k. This has been a massive dps boost from the old spec and rotation for me.
Please feel free to try it out and see what you think.